Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Gasp! You Gained Weight?!

Gasp! You've gained weight?! In weight loss forums, I'm often asked this question, "But, aren't you in maintenance?" This stumps me, as anyone who's lost much of any weight can attest, it is more normal to regain weight, than to not regain. I do NOT have a halo in my pocket, when it comes to maintaining. I'm just punting my way through life, just like anyone else. 3 years in maintenance, and counting! Can I give myself 3 thumbs up?! 👍👍👍
I'm rarely EVER at my rock bottom weight, to be honest. I'm up 6 lbs at the moment. It's depressing, but it is reality. It doesn't get easier with time. It can spiral at any given moment. I do NOT take maintenance for granted. If I did, I'd be up to 300 lbs by now.
Only 1-2% keep their weight off before it's all said and done. I am no different. I am subject to regain just as much as the next guy.
All that to say, it is about nearly impossible to find a weight loss support group for those who're formerly obese, let alone formerly MORBIDLY obese, as I am. There are tons of maintenance forums for weight loss surgery, ketogenic types, exercise fiends, etc. But for real life, down to earth people like me who purposefully eat donuts on a weekly basis, there is NO support group that I have found. It is very frustrating! If you know of a group that would fit this criteria, please let me know. (I have a support person, my good friend Amanda Witmer.) Over time, I've found less and less true support in any forum, leaning almost solely upon my own family, but isn't that how it ought to be?
I choose to maintain my weight without strict food guidelines because that is the only way I will be able to keep it off. Going ketogenic, LCHF, or becoming a gym rat is not long term sustainable. I purposefully CHOOSE to maintain my 129 lbs loss doing the same thing that I did in order to get it off: having a weekly calorie deficit, mostly calorie cycling. Yes, I want to eat my cake AND have it, too. 😁