Saturday, September 15, 2018

No More Down Day Drudgeries - Glucomannan


Over the years, I've bought two big bottles of glucomannan capsules.  The first one I bought after hearing the hype.  Used it up, with an "oh-hum".  Heard it hyped again, so bought another big bottle of capsules.  The last time, sometimes taking more than a handful at a shot:  hoping.  I noticed nothing!  Chalked it up to another media pumped diet tool.  Lots of them out there. Surely glucomannan's no different.   


I now beg to differ.  Why?  My mom and sister are constantly trying the latest and greatest diet cures.  I get their castoffs.  This last "latest and greatest" was the "Gastric Bypass Alternative".


Neither of my loved ones could stomach the pink goo, and gladly offered me their leftovers.  I thought, "Maybe this would be a good DD tool", optimistic.  Assuming this would be yet another disappointment, I took it anyway.  My eyes were opened!  WoW!

When buying their whole program, GBA is very expensive.  Plus, I learned right away that the only tool in the kit that works is their pink goo.  See this link to see how they recommend it be ingested.  It tastes even worse than it looks.



Frugal ol' me, I glanced at the ingredients.  Glucomannan.  It is my opinion that this pink goo is a mix of Crystal Light and glucomannan.  Which is fine, but I wanted varied flavoring options, not to mention the price.

I bought plain glucomannan on Amazon, and have now been adding it to a lot of different things.  Key is to not use capsules.  Powdered is cheaper, and can be sprinkled on food, barely noticeable.  Will take some experimentation to see how much you will need.  Some achieve fullness with only 1/2 teaspoon, while others who have a difficult time achieving satiety, will need 1 tablespoon added to something.  One T in a large bowl of soup gives a tremendous amount of satiety, no matter what type of soup.

Another example of how unnoticeable gluc is, yesterday, I added it to coleslaw.  It wasn't textually noticeable at all, as long as I ate it within a couple of hours. (It does not need to be "activated" as that will occur in your gut.  Just be sure to drink a couple of cups of water.)  Next time, I will add the gluc just before consuming the coleslaw, because it got a bit slimy after several hours in the fridge.  This makes me very happy, as I love coleslaw, never dreaming that it could ever become part of a DD.

One thing about using glucomannan that is so beneficial is that I don't have to have just one meal on a DD anymore.  Now I can have 2 meals (and get full both times!) as long as I include gluc in both times.

Glucomannan Powder needs to be mixed in either liquid or mixed into wet food.  Or, keep some in a shaker and sprinkle liberally directly onto your food just before you eat it.  Glucomannan is tasteless.  Experiment.  You will be glad you joined the gluccie club.

You need to be aware that you must drink a lot of water when taking this.  I'm not a fan of Dr Oz, but he has a good explanation here on things to be aware of.

Perfect DD crutch:  1/2 tablespoon in cup broth, whisk, drink, then follow with a glass of water = 17 calories!  Glucomannan is a remarkable tool.  No more "hangry" days for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I do not coach, but I do interact in these groups:

Basic alternate day fasting support https://www.facebook.com/groups/alternatedayfasting

Advanced Support for obese & formerly obese (in maintenance) women
https://www.facebook.com/groups/480540602310396