Friday, June 16, 2017

My Take On JUDDD - How I lost 130 lbs

Before: 293+ lbs; After: 163 lbs with JUDDD & CAD combined (maintenance since March, 2014).  I HIGHLY recommend getting Dr. Johnson's book if you're serious about this journey.  The book is jammed packed with information.

JUDDD will work if you follow the protocol outlined in the book and therefore creating deficits.  JUDDD, in basic terms, is an alternating up / down pattern of eating.  There's a bit of magic (namely, the SIRT1 gene), but mostly it's math.  If it doesn't work for you, you are eating too much or not enough protein.  This lifestyle works because it keeps your metabolism primed with the UDs, while the DDs knock the weight off.   Follow the JUDDD formula outlined in the book, which will give you the UD amount appropriate for your size and age.



How I did it:
  
     1.  On DDs, 500 calories, eating them all within 1 meal, I ate to live, keeping carbs low for satiety's sake.   I did drink 1 or 2 diet pops and/or Crystal Light almost every DD, chewing a lot of sugar free gum to keep from eating.
     2.   UDs, I ate 100 g protein, letting carbs fall where they may.  I indulged in whatever dessert I was craving at the time.  
     3.   I do not recommend cutting out any food group.  Cutting out carbs is something I can't do long term, so to expect that wasn't reasonable.  
     4.  I followed "carb concentration" in weight loss mode, which helps curb cravings.
  
There are an unlimited number of ways you can do JUDDD; however, eating a lower level of protein will lessen any diet's effectiveness.   Calorie and carb cycling is the pattern that worked for me, but I do not believe that there is a better formula for weight loss.  (For maintenance, the only thing I've changed is to increase my DD calories to 1000+.)
  
     Protein go-to's are:
  • Cottage cheese
  • Beef gelatin
  • Poultry
  • Fish
  • Whey protein
  • Jennie O turkey burger
  • Oscar Mayer turkey sausage
  • Oscar Mayer turkey lunchmeat
  • Eggs
  • Mozzarella