Friday, February 3, 2017

How Important Is Exercise?

    During my 20's I was obsessed with aerobic exercise.  It backfired on me, and caused my metabolism to go to rock bottom where in order to maintain my weight loss, I was only able to eat approximately 1000 calories per day.  I've since found out that my experience was not unique.   This can, indeed happen.  I was not the only one, but without the internet to search this out, I thought I was alone.
     When I began my journey, I wasn't going to allow that to happen to me again.  Besides, I figured, I was already weight lifting with my excess weight.  I just didn't have the energy for a long while after I began JUDDD.
     Once I'd lost 100 lbs I began walking slowly, gradually increasing to a brisk walk.  Even now, I do not do aerobic exercises.  Occasionally I work harder if doing yard work on our farm, but for the most part, I wear my trusty pedometer, making excuses to move wherever I am, to track my progress.  It encourages me to see the number rie.
     Science is now more saavy, more knowledgeable.  It has been proven scientifically that exercising increases appetite, which can undermine weight loss efforts.
     This is only my opinion.  Others may disagree.  For me, concentrating on the weight loss and then beginning an exercise program only after I began to feel better worked for me.  Above all, this did not turn out to be detrimental to my metabolism.
     For the last couple of years, I walk 5-6 days per week, but also work more and more on NEAT.  My pedometer is my best friend.