Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Why Do 98-99% of Dieters Regain Their Lost Weight?

   

     Good question!  Ask almost anyone who's lost weight (I've asked a LOT of them!)... "Why did you regain your weight?"  Every one of them told me "I went back to my old eating habits" or something else self derogatory.
      It is NOT a lack of self-control.  It is a lack of understanding how our bodies work.  Quit blaming yourselves but don't drop it right there.  There IS a way to win this battle.  No, you cannot go back to eating the way you had been eating previously.  You need a plan!
      Who better to listen to than to the two long term formerly morbidly obese men who've both maintained 100+lbs weight for longer than ten years!  The "Spike Guy" and "Fats" Goldberg of "Controlled Cheating".
      Both of these men incorporated Spike days within their lifestyle.   Both gave God credit for showing them "THE" way.  For both of them "THE" way was via Spike days, living the Spike lifestyle.  Both describe  the phenomenon that went on inside their bodies as they were losing weight, something that the vast majority of weight losers, in the end, struggle with.  Both express that there are going to be days that you're just going to lose it food wise, so they've made "cheat days" part of the plan!
     Not just morbidly obese experience this.  Most regain their weight no matter what method they use.   No matter how much one has lost, most begin gaining their lost weight almost as soon as they achieve goal.  90% regain it within 2 years of achieving goal.  98-99% have regain it by year 5.  Only 5% of those with weight loss surgery succeed.
     Okay, admit it.  You are GOING to cave into overeating some day, sooner or later, in the road of maintenance.  It's our bodies' rebellion against deprivation.  Once you get to goal, you will still need to have some sort of restriction.  It's not something that you can just do once and then never think about again.  (Unless you're a pristine eater.  In that case, you will not probably enjoy one word of my blog. I'm very human when it comes to eating.  I love donuts, pizza, and ice cream!)
     Spike days have brought back the smile to my face, working as a pressure release.  The more you've lost, the more of a pressure release you will probably need.  The formula involves figuring your TDEE and organizing the calories allotted within a specific time frame that works for YOU.  For me, a three day cycle makes me content.  If I eat that same amount, eating the same day after day, it is a recipe for an overload on cravings.  The cycling of calories revs my metabolism with the up, while the lower days keep me at the calorie level I have chosen.  The Spike book describes it more scientifically than I can.