Wednesday, February 1, 2017

What is Gluttony?

   
     Over my lifetime, I've heard countless preachers speak against this sin they call gluttony, cringing in my pew in shame as both a child and an adult, not being able to hide my ample hips and double/triple chins.  It's not one of the 10 Commandments, I do know that.  Sure we can pull out verses to fit this agenda.  But at the same time, we can find verses in the Bible where eating and feasting is part of the fellowship with believers.  Of course, there is a difference between gluttony and being fat.  Some gluttons are blessed to be slimmer.  Some obese are blessed with concentration camp type bodies where their bodies are so efficient at keeping the weight on... and yet they don't necessarily binge.  Yes, they may enjoy a holiday feast, but who doesn't?  We live in this world, and food celebrations are all a part of life.  It's an enjoyable part of life.  Admit it.  Quit feeling guilty about enjoying donuts.
     This is a sensitive subject for me, and so I'm coming from a formerly obese childhood experience.  I was fat before it was common (I'm 55).  I gained weight very easily, fat by age 8, obese by age 11, dieted and gained a bit more, starved to lose weight, gained more and more until I was morbidly obese for much of my adulthood.
     If obesity is always as a result of gluttony, then why is it that one of the most celebrated preachers of our time was Charles Spurgeon.  He was obese.  Did he overeat?  I'm not positive, but he certainly didn't live on celery.  That's true, right?
     My friend Nancy told me that she posed this question with her pastor.  He told her that he believes that gluttony is eating, vomiting what you've eaten, then eating again.  This is a valid point of view.
     Dictionaries do not all agree.  If "gluttony" could be found in the dictionary the translators of the King James Authorized Version of the Bible, 1611 had a dictionary, I'd love to see what it would say on this subject.  It's probably available on-line somewhere.

Here's an interesting perspective:  http://kjv1611.com/devotion/the-sin-of-gluttony-saturday-january-23-2016/

     I have a far bigger appetite since I've gone from being morbidly obese down to being within a normal weight.  Dieting creates a vacuum in your gut where your body tries to recup it's lost weight, part of the weight loss plight.  Does this make me a glutton?  I don't believe so.
     I have an interesting perspective since my hubby has the opposite issues.  He was a skinny bullied kid, whereas I was a fat bullied kid.  When my husband is done eating, he has no desire to put one more bite into his mouth.  When I'm done eating, full even, I can always get in one more cookie.  I believe it is a hormonal issue, not usually a self-control issue.  Modern day scientists and/or diet experts don't have all of the answers.  Hopefully, in time, more researching can be directed in this area and relieve the pressure that some self-proclaimed diet experts try to guilt us with.
     There may be a fine line when it comes to this.  Some of this can be determined by having a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and listening to the direction of the Holy Spirit.  Just some thoughts.  Glean what you can with my ramblings, toss the rest.  :)